Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Snowboarding

I have always thought snowboarding would be fun. I was right... Well kind of. As it turns out is is also a lot of hard work. The snowboarding itself is pretty fun. Once you are up and on your way. It is the standing up from a sitting position that reminds you just how long it has been since you have really tried to do a sit-up. And please don't catch the edge of the board once you are up, because you'll just be down again regretting the lack of ab-work lately.

I was on this trip with Clara and our friends the Wallis', Suki and Shelby. It was a mother/daughter day. Sometimes I worry that Clara's fear of the unknown will keep her back. She just doesn't like to try new things. It can be a little frustrating. So, I was trying to set an example. And I was hoping to create a fond memory for her. That someday, in the future, she would say to her daughter, "Your Grandma took me snowboarding once. We had a good time." And then she would tell the story of our adventure together.

As it ended up, we weren't on the mountain for long. We took our lesson, and then spent some time practicing. Clara did the best of all of us. After about the 3rd time I fell and hit the back of my head, I decided I was done. Next time I will definitely wear a helmet. MAN! A helmet on the bunny slope?! I'm getting old! But, I guess it is better than scrambled brains.


Figuring out the bindings.

It was so warm we took off hats and mittens.


Up and feeling good about it!


Snowboarders getting ready to SHRED!



At the top of the bunny slope.