Monday, August 25, 2008

Alaska State Fair 2008

Last Friday we went to the fair with the Wallis family. Actually Suki and I went early to try out the new wine bar, and Cass picked up the kids after school and met us there. We totally lucked out. The weather was relatively nice, and the crowds weren't so bad. It works well with the Wallis', because it makes the number of kids even, so everyone has a ride partner. We had a good time.

Clara and Shelby waiting for a ride. I hope the bars don't foreshadow the future for either one of them. I did think it was kind of funny though!

Clara isn't that adventuresome when it comes to rides. It is kind of a shame because she would have so much more fun if she would just let loose a little. I get a frustrated sometimes that she can't seem to crack a smile. Someone told me this week that she was a somber kid. Huh! I'm going to have to work on helping her be a little more relaxed!!

I figured that Mary should ride a ride too. She is just a little too little to ride the kiddy rides. I don't think she would sit still long enough. But, the slide worked out well. I had fun too!

The hoola hoops are always a fun and cheap form of entertainment. Imagine my surprise to see a smile on Clara's face. Although I know she was having a good time, it was the first time that it actually looked like it. Then she started to show off by hoola-ing 4 hoops at once. Pretty good!!

So all in all, it was a pretty good time. Early on, like I said...Suki and I had a couple glasses of wine at the wine bar. Our friend Mary Kay "Randy" was our server. We gave her lots of encouragement (crap). I found out that her aversion to her given name was because of merciless teasing over make-up and pink Cadillacs. Well, you know me, I'm totally going to pink Cadillac her from now until forever. I wonder if I'll be able to find stuff on eBay to encourage me. I'm thinking YES!

One odd thing was the very low number of agricultural entries this year. I guess that the cool wet summer has been a struggle for many a gardener. Dawn says honey entries are way down, but I did notice she got a Grand Champion ribbon for one of her honey frames. Way to go Dawn!!

I'm going again today with my neighbor Michelle. It is 2 dollar Tuesday. I missed most of the booths last time. I always like to search for new stuff at the fair. Of course it is always the same old fair crap you see every year. But I like a challenge anyway.

No comments: